Reacinspectors.Org Forum Index Reacinspectors.Org
The Community of REAC Inspections Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What the heck is going on?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reacinspectors.Org Forum Index -> Auction Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xray
Dark Sider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: What the heck is going on? Reply with quote

I'm actually enjoying the lull as we still see NO MF auctions, but I'm beginning to get really concerned. I'm staying busy enough with mortgage inspections, and it's no secret that these are the easy work.

I'm thinking that when they finally issue an auction, REAC is going to be telling you all to schedule all these MF inspections as if it is "your fault that REAC is way behind schedule . . . now, get 'er done quick!"

That's going to mean I'm getting tons of frantic calls, "Mike, we just found out we have a REAC in 3 weeks? How soon can you be in (California, Arizona, New York, Texas, Colorado, Chicago, where ever?) !?!?

In the meanwhile, there has to be a shake out going on. Any rumors of established inspectors just quitting? I know of one who's ready, but I won't name names, and this inspector wanted out anyway.
Gizmo
Inspector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

144 inspectors (143 listed plus 1 in WV) - revised

AL 1
AK 0
AZ 3
AK 2
CA 9
CO 2
CT 3
DE 0
DC 0
FL 8
GA 9
HI 0
ID 1
IL 6
IN 5
IA 3
KS 1
KY 2
LA 4
ME 0
MD 1
MA 6
MI 7
MN 3
MS 2
MO 3
MT 0
NE 1
NV 0
NH 0
NJ 1
NM 0
NY 13
NC 6
ND 0
OH 8
OK 1
OR 1
PA 7
PR 1
RI 1
SC 1
SD 1
TN 3
TX 8
UT 2
VT 0
VA 4
WA 2
WV 2
WI 0
WY 0

Last edited by Gizmo on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Charles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more than that - heck you left off Texas.

TANSTAAFL - becareful what you wish for.
Gizmo
Inspector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I was tired last night

See the revised list above

xray
Dark Sider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody cares about Texas.

NO< NO< you know I'm just joking. Texas is one of my very favorite places. If I was moving to someplace warm, I'd take Texas over Florida or California any day.
Gizmo
Inspector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a rhetorical question:

Over the years, I have noticed people getting certified, and then decertified, in NH and VT. Why is that? What is so tough about these two little states?

And what happened in Nevada? Inspectors have also been there - and not been there - over the years.

If you want to move, try:
AK
DE
DC (actually, don't go there - it is too close to REAC HQ)
HI
ME
MT
NV
NH
NM
ND
VT
WI
WY

mapeg
Blonde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: What the heck is going on? Reply with quote

Hawaii works for me
Charles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The low numbers of inspectors shown on the REAC website (if it is actually that low) should be an indication of our statis at HUD/REAC.

We are a very small group

Gizmo
Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think that we should start an association. With gas prices so high, prices should also be increased--both RAP and mortgage servicers.
mapeg
Blonde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: What the heck is going on? Reply with quote

What ???? A union??? hahaha
Bow Tie
Utility Infielder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo wrote:
I still think that we should start an association. With gas prices so high, prices should also be increased--both RAP and mortgage servicers.

When airlines and oil companies propose such an association, it is called price fixing. The fact is, if the price is too low, REAC is not to blame. The inspectors who agree to do the inspections for those prices get all that responsibility.

Gizmo
Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bow Tie - That may be true of RAP - but the mortgage servicers pay a flat rate. Of course, we could not take the flat rate and not do the work - but that doesn't make much sense, does it?
Charles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo - Its all market forces - if you don't take the low price they will have to find someone else that will, or they will have to pay more.

I have been able to negociate with both of the morgagee servicers for a significately higher rate.

Of course they constantly try to get someone to do them cheaper, but mine don't get posted to often, and rarely rejected, nor do I ever send them back an inspection after I told them I would do it.

So there is no "flat" rate - its what inspectors will do them for. I promise you if someone came along in your area and offered 20% less for completeing inspections the servicers would give them some if not all of the inspections.

Bow Tie
Utility Infielder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than the number of current inspectors when they start releasing inspections, the driving factor as far as prices go will likely be how many properties are in the auctions once they start releasing them, along with inspectors' reactions to those conditions.

A couple of years ago, when prices were so low, some areas of the country built up a substantial backlog of inspections. Not sure why, but we just seemed to be getting ignored. Prices dropped further and further because inspectors were getting desperate work, resulting in more desperate inspectors and still lower prices.

All of a sudden, the floodgates opened and a large number of inspections became available. In the auction which followed shortly thereafter, they released even more for our area, but at substantially higher prices because all the local inspectors were busy with work from the prior auction.

Classic game theory, specifically The Prisoner's Dilemma, applies here. There has not been an auction in about 6 months, so there is no shortage of properties to be inspected in the coming auctions (whenever they actually get released). If everybody keeps a cool head and doesn't underbid, the prices will be acceptable and everybody will win. If one person decides to grab as much work as they can in the first auction, they will be screwing themselves. Once people see that, they will start screwing themselves too, and anybody who "wins" a property in the first auction will end up working for peanuts.

If a big, evil contractor like (insert the name of the contractor you don't like here) bids too low on properties for which they don't have an inspector, anyone who takes that lowball work will be ensuring that they get paid lower wages. Not just on that job but on lots of future work as well.

Inspectors need to establish their standards and then stick to them. If you decide to take a screwing "this one time" because you need the work to get through the dry spell, prepare for the fact that letting yourself get screwed may turn out to be habit forming.

Gizmo
Inspector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a QA for 2 days last week in WV, a VA inspector had one for 3 days, a NC inspector had one for 3 days. Heard another inspector was decertified--numbers going down to 144 or less.

Hopefully, they are going West of the Mississippi!

I also heard that no new inspectors would be trained for quite some time. In most states, there are so few left that it is getting difficult for the mortgage servicers to cover the work. If there is a necessarily big MF auction, the due date had better be mid-December!!

The 6-month "test" for LIHTC (tax credit) to go under REAC has not started yet.

And, the new software may be released in May or June or September.

In addition, the contract administrators are still working under a contract extension which does not include the MOR (where the REAC work is spot checked). In fact, I have heard that the new bid packages have not yet gone out--they are probably being checked by every lawyer in DC and the surrounding areas.

If any of the above is incorrect, I am sorry--just stating what I have heard from "unnamed" sources.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reacinspectors.Org Forum Index -> Auction Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: